Monday, November 3, 2014

Windows & Doors

I think I failed to provide information on the window and door decisions.  I ended choosing Andersen 400 series for the home. We went withe the best U factor and chose the solar heat factors for different window locations. I positioned the house where the front is facing south. With all the windows on the front side we should benefit from solar heat during the winter months and during the summer the sun will be more to the north and sunlight should not directly effect us. Placing the home in an ideal location can really save you money. I guess you may not always have that option but if you do have a choice it's something to consider.  I really wanted to use Intus windows in the house as I loved the product but big shipping costs and the concern of support had me nervous. However after dealing with a Andersen frenchwood door issue I haven't been overly happy with there support. I love the door but the first one arrived damaged and the second had the door gasket fail. All other exterior doors are therma tru and they are fine. I used the Fox Buck on all my openings and had no problem with the.  I did frame the openings with 2x12's to support the bucks which cost me extra money but I wanted the openings square.  We mounted the windows and hunts the doors the. Sealed everything up with a adhesive wrap and spray foam. The house will be extremely tight and will control the air exchange with the HVAC system. My power company heard what I was building and dropped in for a visit. The company was so impressed they are trying to get the home energy start certified! which would be the first home awarded in my area!  I did have one problem with the front door also. I was told therma tru offered an extended jamb and we ordered the largest they had which was 12". However when it arrived the threashold wasn't extended and would have caused a huge problem or "cobbled" job so I sent it back and went with a 2x6 jamb. No other problems after that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment